Re: Network set-up changes

Subject: Re: Network set-up changes
From: Ken Schweigert (ken@byte-productions.com)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 12:32:40 MDT

Mark,

I'm in a similar situation (machines at a co-lo and occasionally bring them
to the office) and here's what I do:

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

  NAME=www
  DEVICE=eth0
  ONBOOT=yes

  BOOTPROTO=static
  IPADDR=192.168.0.15
  NETMASK=255.255.255.224

  #BOOTPROTO=dhcp
  #IPADDR=""
  #NETMASK=""

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network and do the same thing with GATEWAY=

When the machine is at the co-lo, I comment the dhcp section; when I
bring it in, I comment out the static. Works well enough for me. :)

I would imagine it would be simple enough to write a script that could
simulate MacOS's Location Manager and would do this toggling. Sadly,
there's a hundred other things I need to learn before I can get to this.
Anyone with some free time care to give this a shot?

HTH

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 10:59:29AM -0700, Mark Jaffe wrote: > Hi, All. I consider myself a Linux expert, but this issue has me stumped. I > installed YDL 2,.0 on my dual-604e 8500 and had it installed at my Co-Lo in > preparation for switching out my old MkLinux box. When I did the install, I > set the network for static IP, which I had running for a few weeks. > > A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the server had dropped off the net, so I > asked around and someone suggested the built-in Ethernet might be an issue. > I decided to bring the server back home to do some maintenance, purchased a > PCI NIC and installed it. Now at home, I can't use the static IP, so I need > to switch it temporarily to use DHCP. That is the issue, how can I switch > the network settings temporarily so I can debug at home then switch back > when I go to the Co-Lo? > > Interestingly enough, the machine is showing up on the network as an > AppleTalk machine, ince atalkd is running! I can open a directory up on my > Macs, but can't telnet into it. I love Linux!! > > Mark > ============================================================ > Mark Jaffe | (408) 972-9638 (home) > Chief Wizard | (408) 807-1530 (cell/page/voicemail) > Computer Wizards | (425) 795-6421 (FAX) > wizards@wizdev.net | http://www.wizdev.net/