linux-2.4-benh kernel tree Firewire problems

Subject: linux-2.4-benh kernel tree Firewire problems
From: Neill Miller (neillm@thecodefactory.org)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 18:05:26 MDT

Hello all,
        This isn't necessarily YDL specific, but I was wondering if anyone is running YDL with a development kernel from the linux-2.4-benh tree. Here's what I'm running:
Linux version 2.4.11-pre6-ben0 (root@maceva.chaos.net) (gcc version 2.95.3 20010111 (prerelease/franzo/20010111)) #1 Tue Oct 9 22:26:12 CDT 2001

        Anyway, I've been running versions of this kernel for several months (updating frequently) with Linux/PPC and also now with YDL after switching over. Ever since I've switched to YDL, I can no longer use my firewire CD burner - even though the same OHCI1394/IEEE1394/SBP2 modules are building and installing properly. Has anyone had any problem similar to this? (As I'm starting to wonder if the tree in fact is broken, or if it is YDL specific).
        When I compile the necessary *1394/sbp2 drivers for using my firewire drive into the kernel, the kernel crashes during boot somewhere in the ieee1394/ohci1394/sbp2 initialization of the drive. If I compile the drivers as modules, they load correctly, but do not register the device to a /dev/valid block device. I'd be happy to send logged output if you think it will help. Ideas?
        Everything seemed to have worked fine in the 2.4.7 benh kernel while running Linux/PPC - but after the switch, I've had no luck. Thanks for any info.

-Neill.

--
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm