Palm sync

Subject: Palm sync
From: Marc Ozon (m.ozon@home.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 18:35:25 MDT

Hi,

Is anyone out there successfully syncing their Palm handheld with Linux
on a Mac via serial (Beige G3)?? I'm having no success at all. I've
tried both jpilot and Pilot Link (Gnome), but no matter what I try, it
just sits there at the 'about to retrieve username and ID from the pilot
-- press the HotSync button'. I press the button, wait, eventually the
Palm times out; software on the Linux side just sits there. I've read
all I can find on this, but still no success.

The only indication in Linux that anything is happening at all is the
following in /var/log/messages, written when I first try the HotSync
button:

kernel: Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS
SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI enabled

Any ideas? Suggestions? Help? Please?

Details of my setup are below.

Thanks,
Marc

My setup:

Beige G3 (i.e. old-style serial ports)
YDL 2.0
kernel 2.4.10 (compiled my own, with Mac serial driver built-in)
Ximian Desktop (i.e. Gnome 1.4) with Pilot Link (Gnome Pilot)
Palm m100 with serial sync cable

One other hardware tidbit, in case it matters: I have a Keyspan 2-port
USB card in one of the PCI slots, and have USB support in my kernel.
I'm not trying to sync through it, though; my cable is old-style serial,
and my only USB device is a mouse.

/dev/ttyS0 has correct permissions (rw for all), and both dmesg and
/var/log/messages indicate that this is the correct device for my serial
port (I'm using the Mac modem port)

On Linux: the system sees my serial ports (the boot process and dmesg
indicate they're there); dmesg reports the following:

PowerMac Z8530 serial driver version 2.0
tty00 at 0xd5bfd020 (irq = 15) is a Z8530 ESCC, port = modem
tty01 at 0xd5c04000 (irq = 16) is a Z8530 ESCC, port = printer

and

Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI enabled

Finally, stty -F /dev/ttyS0 returns the following:

speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
flush = ^U;
-brkint -imaxbel

Finally, serial seems to be functioning at some level: I have no
problem printing to a StyleWriter II on /dev/ttyS1.

Is there something I'm missing? I've run out of ideas.