Re: netatalk

Subject: Re: netatalk
From: Sean O. Denney (sdenney@cise.ufl.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 20:17:13 MDT

I can tell you how to set up the server end on YDL. The client end
is a lot easier, so just read the man page on that.

1. if appletalk isn't installed in your kernel, you'll need to add the
module to do that. edit your /etc/conf.modules file and add the
following

alias net-pf-5 appletalk

2. edit your /etc/atalk/atalk.conf file and add the following

eth0

eth0 is your ethernet device (it may be eth1 if you have two NIC
cards). When netatalk is activated at reboot, this line will change
to something like "eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.116". This
change will be provided by netatalk.

3. Youe /etc/atalk/afpd.conf file should remain empty.

4. If you need to share a printer, you can provide that in the
papd.conf file. I have a Performa 6400/200 serving a StyleWriter
2400. My papd.conf file is as follows:

lpr-devil:\
        :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pstylps:op=netatalk:\
        :pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/APPLE230.PPD:

Basically, all I am doing is pipeing the print request to my normal
print command. The PPD file is for a generic LaserWriter entry.
Netatalk only works with postscript printers. These files can be found
on Adobe's ftp site (ftp.adobe.com).

4. finally, reboot.