Xserver (XF86 4) just won't work on 7500

Subject: Xserver (XF86 4) just won't work on 7500
From: John Norair (jnorair@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 16:59:46 MDT

I have a 7500 running Control chipset, and ever since I rebuilt the
kernel a few weeks ago the Xserver just won't go. When I run it, it
craps out and dies, leaving me with a blank screen and prompting a 3
fingered salute.

When I run XF86cfg it leaves me with a string of error messages, mostly
of the sort "Cant resolve . . . . . (some driver file)." These are all
for cards that I don't have, so I don't think I need them compiled into
my kernel. Do I? How can I fix XF86 so that it doesn't look for these
damn files?

I would not like to have to reinstall YDL 2.0, since it took me ages to
get my SCSI card to work, and I'll need to upgrade to kernel 2.4.8 (or
whatever past 2.4.7) in order for my SCSI to work right, which seems to
deny Xserver the right to work.

Please help, Thanks,
John Norair