Re: Palm sync

Subject: Re: Palm sync
From: Neill Miller (neillm@thecodefactory.org)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 18:20:04 MDT

On 14 Oct 2001 20:35:25 -0400
Marc Ozon <m.ozon@home.com> wrote:

> Is anyone out there successfully syncing their Palm handheld with Linux
> on a Mac via serial (Beige G3)?? I'm having no success at all. I've
> tried both jpilot and Pilot Link (Gnome), but no matter what I try, it
> just sits there at the 'about to retrieve username and ID from the pilot
> -- press the HotSync button'. I press the button, wait, eventually the
> Palm times out; software on the Linux side just sits there. I've read
> all I can find on this, but still no success.

Hello,
        I got my Palm IIIxe working well with my Powerbook G3 2000 (Pismo/Firewire). I'm using a Keyspan serial converter (19/19w model) since the Powerbook has no serial ports. I recall a couple issues that may or may not help.

1) For whatever reason, I did not have any luck with the Keyspan driver once compiled as modules. I had to build the support into the kernel and make sure the device registered at boot time. (It shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0 or whatever). Maybe this should be experimented on with the serial drivers you're using?

2) When I created the /dev/pilot pointing to the serial device, I changed the permissions to my user name and the group to "tty". (type chown username:tty /dev/pilot as root)

3) The "pilot-xfer" tool worked well before I got JPilot to work. Try running pilot-xfer with the -l option when you think it's hooked up properly. I had to run that (although I can't recall if I ran it as root) before JPilot recognized it at all.

So although none of that makes much rational sense, it's some voodoo magic that just happened to make mine work I guess. I don't recall it being very difficult either - so of course I may have forgotten some more subtle issues involved.

-Neill.

--
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm