dial-up PPP problem(s)

Subject: dial-up PPP problem(s)
From: Carl McCabe (00223137@bigred.unl.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 08:52:33 MDT

I'm a touch new to Linux and I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet
through my dial-up connection. My machine is a Rev. A iMac running YDL
2.0. I've heard a bit about some of the KDE graphical interfaces for
setting up the connection (and yes, I've had trouble with those too), but
I'm interested in knowing how to do it from the command line. Call me old
fashioned.

Here's where I'm at now: I'm using wvdial and am pretty sure that my
/etc/resolv.conf file is set up correctly, but I can't seem to connect to
anything aside from my ISP's server. I am able to ping my ISP via the IP
address, but when i try others via their IP address I get "Destination
Host Unreachable".
When I run /sbin/route -n it appears that the default route is not set to
the gateway (as it should be, right?). If this is the case, can someone
tell me how I can change that?

And, if this just sounds like the talk of a confused newbie, could someone
tell me where I could find good information on settting up a dial-up PPP
connection on YDL 2.0? I've found quite a bit of information on setting
up dial-up PPP in general, but, obviously, I'm having trouble getting it
to work on this system.

Thanks in advance,
Carl