Support, was Re: Yellowdog 2.1 ISO Download

Subject: Support, was Re: Yellowdog 2.1 ISO Download
From: Ted Goranson (tedg@sirius-beta.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 10:54:57 MDT

>But I won't pay for the lousy tech support anymore.
>
>You guys ought to take a lesson from BareBones.
>
>dano <bombthrower>

Well, in the spirit of fairness, let me testify. I am a rank beginner
who purchased technical support. I admit that the delay for response
was often greater than 24 hours (especially around MacWorld Expo),
that the advice was in one case wrong (missed the "brokenx" problem
on triplebooting) and that the data entry box is small.

However, the YDL guys (I assume they are all guys) have:

--patiently and courteously stuck with all sorts of fumbling at my end

--extended my period of coverage way beyond the agreed period as
compensation, and have doggedly kept banging away at my (peculiar)
issues

--Once gone way beyond the scope of support to help me with a
non-covered issue (perhaps as compensation for the delays, perhaps
because they're just great guys.) This resulted in the Xemacs RPM
noted in the list a day or so ago

--I myself was annoyed by the web entry form. But I must say that
having a persistent, centralized history has been very helpful

So, bottom line is that I can recommend the help, especially at the
price! I will do it again myself when YDL supports my big G4.

Best, Ted

PS. This is from someone who had a bad experience with Barebones,
which in fact was a main trigger for my flight to YDL/Xemacs.

--
Ted Goranson