[OT] Tech support commentary

Subject: [OT] Tech support commentary
From: Pete Peters (ppeters914@home.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 11:29:18 MDT

I did five years tech support (Eddie Bauer, Microsoft (Windows/Mac
Office), Wall Data (RUMBA/MacRUMBA terminal emulation) before being
hired and laid-off as a software tester for two dot.coms. Realizing I
prefer fixing to breaking things, I plan on moving to IT and/or
returning to tech support.

Tech support is a difficult job. It takes awhile before you realize
you're in the minority. Most of the world is *NOT* fascinated by those
grey putty boxes. It's just a tool for them to do their jobs. They just
want to turn the key and go, period. The computer industry marketing
departments have done a wonderful job of selling that vision.
Unfortunately, we all know that it ain't so.

Some tech support folks never understand that. It's quite easy to become
jaded and cynical after dealing w/ Stupid User Tricks. Tech support also
doesn't get much respect from the rest of the IT community. Burn-out and
turnover is quite high.

Out of ten callers, eight will think you're a god, one will be totally
clueless, and one will be a jerk. The clueless will generally remain
clueless, and there's nothing you can do about the jerks except shake it
off when you hang up. My trick for maintaining sanity was to "Focus on
the Eight." That was my reward for doing a good job.

I believe Linux tech support is even more difficult. It's probably a
smaller tech support group dealing w/ a moving target. As users, we do
have a great support system like this forum. And don't forget, it may be
Unix-like, but Linux is relatively new. How many of you remember the
early days of CPM, DOS, and pre-System 7? Heck, I would ask three people
and get three different answers. Linux is still in that pioneer period.
Considering the domination of Windows in the marketplace, the rise of
Linux is nothing short of amazing.

Yes, there are bad tech support people, and good tech support people can
make mistakes. Remember there are human beings on both sides of the
phone call. A good rant will sometimes help relieve both parties, but
objective, critical feedback is more useful. You can't fix it if you
don't know what's broke.

My kudos for everyone at Terrasoft for sticking it out, and providing us
a non-Intel option. Keep on truckin', and keep up the good work.

Pete
Pete Peters <ppeters914@home.com>
Seattle, Washington, USA