Re: [OT] Tech support commentary

Subject: Re: [OT] Tech support commentary
From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 11:43:41 MDT

>They just
>want to turn the key and go, period. The computer industry marketing
>departments have done a wonderful job of selling that vision.
>Unfortunately, we all know that it ain't so.

Get a mac. :)

Tech support is great for the newbie questions/general problems that
we all have had at one point or another, but the tech support lines
usually aren't equipped to deal with more specific questions.

Me: Can you help me with ____?
Rep: Sorry, I don't know anything about that
(aka there wasn't a tab on his or her help program regarding my question
Me: Thank you anyway, bye.

I find that forums of users/developers of programs help get more
"advanced" issues resolved more quickly and thoroughly than through a
tech support line.

--Brian