RE: [OT] Tech support commentary

Subject: RE: [OT] Tech support commentary
From: Pete Peters (ppeters914@home.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 12:28:01 MDT

> but the tech support lines usually aren't equipped to deal with more
specific questions.

> Me: Can you help me with ____?
> Rep: Sorry, I don't know anything about that
> (aka there wasn't a tab on his or her help program regarding my
question)
> Me: Thank you anyway, bye.

This depends on the support organization, the level of support, and
their call support/knowledgebase tools. Yes, there are low-paid,
first-tier levels that can only read a script. I also know tech support
people who's average call w/ a customer is 45 minutes. These are
technical customers w/ involved issues that sometimes take weeks to
resolve.

Again, it depends on what you're willing to pay for, and what
expectations are set. A few years ago, it was estimated that it cost a
company $25 per tech support call. Two or three calls and you've lost
any profit on the original product sale. Very few organizations see tech
support as anything more than overhead and/or a necessary evil. They
forget, or never realize, that good customer support sells product, e.g.
WordPerfect or WRQ's Reflection.

Pete