RE: Installing YDL

Subject: RE: Installing YDL
From: Pete Peters (ppeters914@home.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 15:44:18 MDT

Just a lurker here, but FWIW, HFS+ will cause you nothing but grief. If
anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.

"Jumper the drives" refers to a physical jumper on the hard drive,
whether IDE or SCSI. For IDE, that'll determine Master or Slave. For
SCSI, it'll determine the SCSI ID. You wouldn't use Drive Setup do do
anything other than identify what's what. You should also be able to
determine the SCSI ID using the Apple System Profiler.

On my PPC9500, I have two SCSI drives on the internal bus. The first
drive is SCSI ID 0 (that's zero). It is HFS w/ MacOS 8.6. I installed
from this hard drive to the second SCSI drive (ID 1). [NOTE: Being an
Old World Mac, I needed BootX] I also have my YDL rpms on the first
drive. Linux recognizes these drives as sdaX and sdbX, respectively. The
"X" is the partition number

Btw, I had nothing but trouble w/ LinuxPPC. The good thing is that it
sent me into the YDL camp. Stick around, you'll like it here. <g>

HTH

Pete