YDL2 Video blank problem

Subject: YDL2 Video blank problem
From: Stephen Prause (SPRAUSE@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 11:26:18 MDT

Recently did a install of YDL2.0 on my dual G4. I had to append
the "video=aty128fb:vmode:20" argument to install. This also
was required upon successful completion with yaboot "linux"
kernel. This was documented on the general list (with much
thanks). I was able to RPM the 2.4.4 kernel with source and
recompiled and added SMP support. Everything is great. In text
mode that is.

I have video problems with my ATY128FB and my Apple Mac 17"
monitor. This is the all clear monitor with USB ports with the
new video connector. Not sure of the model name. If I startx,
the display blanks out. This is the same thing that initially
happened when I boot linux or the install kernels without a
video argument. I can get the monitor back when I issue an
"fbset 1280x1024-75" command (remotely).

This machine had no frame buffer, X windows, or video issues
with the prior YDL1.2. I really need to resolve this issue and
have noticed many others with the same issue with no posting of
a solution. Any ideas? Please??