Re: YDL2 Video blank problem

Subject: Re: YDL2 Video blank problem
From: Jerry Schmidt (loafer.jerry@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 11:46:34 MDT

>Recently did a install of YDL2.0 on my dual G4. I had to append
>the "video=aty128fb:vmode:20" argument to install. This also
>was required upon successful completion with yaboot "linux"
>kernel. This was documented on the general list (with much
>thanks). I was able to RPM the 2.4.4 kernel with source and
>recompiled and added SMP support. Everything is great. In text
>mode that is.
>
>I have video problems with my ATY128FB and my Apple Mac 17"
>monitor. This is the all clear monitor with USB ports with the
>new video connector. Not sure of the model name. If I startx,
>the display blanks out. This is the same thing that initially
>happened when I boot linux or the install kernels without a
>video argument. I can get the monitor back when I issue an
>"fbset 1280x1024-75" command (remotely).
>
>This machine had no frame buffer, X windows, or video issues
>with the prior YDL1.2. I really need to resolve this issue and
>have noticed many others with the same issue with no posting of
>a solution. Any ideas? Please??

I think the problem is in the ADC video connector and the way it
handles video switching. I have a G4 500DP and a 15" Apple LCD
display. I queried the list a while back and got no answers. Dan
Burcaw just recently made a comment about 2.1 and NOT having ADC
support yet. I hope a fix is being contemplated,but for now...? Jerry