2.1 and upgrading

Subject: 2.1 and upgrading
From: Marc Ozon (m.ozon@home.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 19:02:52 MDT

Hi,

As someone running YDL 2.0, but who has already applied some significant
individual updates to my system, this talk of the new version has me
wondering about upgrading to 2.1.

Here's why: I've already upgraded my XFree86 (4.1.0) and MOL (0.9.6),
not to mention that I've installed more recent versions of a few
programs (OpenSSH, Abiword, Mozilla, GAIM) than are available in rpm
form with yup. And, I'm running on kernel 2.4.13pre1, with the latest
iptables. In other words, aside from the ext3 file system, I've already
done much of the upgrading that YDL 2.1 promises, at least with respect
to software I use (I don't have previously unsupported hardware, nor do
I use KDE).

So, my question: should I even bother trying to upgrade? I realize
there are pros and cons (pros, I get *all* the little fixes, plus have
the new software maintainable via rpm/yup; but cons, it's a lot of work,
including the conversions to get ext3, and some things might cause
trouble). But, I can't help thinking I'd be just as well off sticking
with what I've got, upgrading select bits of software as needed, and
waiting until an even newer version is released that contains a lot more
significant changes. Are there any benefits I might not be thinking of?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Marc