Re: LaCie CD-RW

Subject: Re: LaCie CD-RW
From: Neill Miller (neillm@thecodefactory.org)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 22:31:23 MDT

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:40:59 -0500
Stephen Prause <SPRAUSE@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Got info from "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" which yielded SCSI device info: LaCie CDRW-12432S on scsi1,
> chan 0, ID #6. This ended up mapped to /dev/scd0. Created a symlink "ln -s /dev/scd0 cdrw" and
> added mount point (/mnt/cdrw) and line to fstab (similar to cdrom). I now can use my LaCie RW in
> CDROM mode by mounting it and reading from it.

Hello,
        Out of curiosity, which kernel are you running? I've posted a question to this list earlier about the issues I was having ever since switching to YDL 2.0 on a linux-2.4.11-benh kernel (Subject: linux-2.4-benh kernel tree Firewire problems). I'm wondering if it's time to update it again. I had everything working nicely while running Linux/PPC on my QPS Que!Fire (external firewire) 16x10x40 CD-RW drive using SCSI emulation and a similar setup linking /dev/scd0 which was made useable by the sbp2/ohci1394/ieee1394 module drivers. I can't seem to recreate it now that I'm running YDL - although it may be due to changes in the driver. I've yet to determine which.

> I have the SCSI_GENERIC device (sg) supported (cat /proc/devices). I also have a current version
> of cdrecord and mkisofs and am currently reviewing the man pages. I think I only need to modify
> /etc/cdrecord.conf and I should be good to go. Any further experience or info is appreciated.

X-CD-Roast (a nice GUI over cdrecord and mkisofs) normally suits most of my needs - although the last time I tried it, it only supported writes up to 8x (at least through the GUI). If you haven't seen it already, check out http://www.xcdroast.org/

-Neill.

--
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm