Serial terminal

Subject: Serial terminal
From: Brian Mayton (bmayton@mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 22:57:21 MDT

I know this isn't really a Linux question, but it is in a way, so I hope you
don't mind the off-topicness too much:

I have an IBM 8088 with a serial card in it that I'd like to use as a
terminal on my YDL server at a remote location. My idea is to plug it into
the serial port of my Mac, write a little background application to connect
to my server through TCP/IP, and echo the data to the serial port that the
8088 is plugged into. I'd just plug the 8088 directly into the server, but
it's about a mile away.

My questions are: If I write a simple program to simply take received data
from the TCP/IP connection and echo them to the serial port, and also take
data received on the serial port and echo them back to the TCP/IP
connection, will this work?

Second, is there a good vt100 or similar terminal emulator for the 8088 that
anyone could give me? I have a small program for transferring binary files
over the serial port to the thing, so I do have a method of getting a
program onto it. It's running DOS 2.1, so anything has to be compatible. I
could also key a basica program into it, if need be.

Thanks in advance!