Re: More ethernet woes...

Subject: Re: More ethernet woes...
From: Dave Braford (braford@hanon-mckendry.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 06:22:14 MDT

So (to all that replied) you guys are saying
tulip is the way to go and I have a bad card....

Works fine on the Mac side......hmm....

I have a 3C509 10/100 (for PC) I could use, and it's
my card of choice anyway....It just didn't occur to me
to use a PC card in a Mac. I guess PCI is PCI.....thoughts any ?

Maybe I'm builing wrong....I have been adding tulip and tulip_old
as modules is menuconfig and the box just won't see the card...

Thanks so much for the advice all...the fact that it (tulip)
works for you(s) guys tells me a great deal.

Message in response to:

>On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Bryn Hughes wrote:
>
>> I'd have to go with Sean. I run 2 Tulip cards in one of my YDL servers and
>> they've always worked perfectly right from the beginning. It really sounds
>> like your card is bad somehow. The tulip cards are so common especially on
>> Macs that there'd be tons of other users with problems if it was a distro
>> thing.
>
>Most any-old supported PCI card will work, even if there aren't MacOS
>drivers for it. I've used Kingston (Tulip) cards successfully, as well as
>$15-new Linksys (also Tulip) cards from Office Depot. I know folks have
>used 3Com cards too ...
>
>--
>Charlie Watts
>cewatts@frontier.net