emacs config problem, video help

Subject: emacs config problem, video help
From: Alfonso F. Agnew (aagnew@fullerton.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 14:57:43 MDT

Hi,

I've just installed ydl2.0 and am configuring the system. A problem I am
having that hasn't appeared on the the list (AFAICT) is that emacs seems to
resist changing the fore/background colors. The default is black foreground
and white background. I usually like to reverse this. However, when I give
the command:

emacs -fg white -bg black

I get an emacs such that everywhere there are characters, it is black fg on
white bg, and everywhere there are no characters, just a black bg. Needless
to say, this is really ugly:-)

Has something changed in emacs since I ran it with ydl1.2? Is there
something else causing this, maybe?

I am running the default kernel (2.2.19) but am building the latest stable
montevista 2.4 as I write.

Also, how can I get nonVESA video configuration for my apple studio display
17 (CRT)? Xautoconfig4 and Xconfigurator result in 1280x1024 or nothing,
which is OK, but the geometry of the screen is messed up (off center and
doesn't use the whole screen). Is there a linux way to change the geometry
like with the monitors control panel in macos?

Incidentally, a couple of others on the list have wrote in about this video
issue with no responses. If some kind soul would help us out, or point us to
some definite reading, it would help many of us:-)

Thank you!

Alfonso