Re: Routing Question

Subject: Re: Routing Question
From: Dave Braford (braford@hanon-mckendry.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 07:57:06 MDT

You disagree Bacil ?
Just trying to see if I could save Barry some money.
What I meant to say was I had no personal experience
setting up PPoe on a Linux box. OH, I know about DSL.....

I made some assumptions....

"I just found out DSL is available in my area." says Barry.
SDSL, ADSL, or IDSL. My guess is ADSL.

DSL is NOT much faster than cable in any world. It depends on
what bandwidth you purchase. You can MAYBE get 192k for the same price
as cable and remember, Barry is most likely in a residential area.
Are you Barry ?
OH...that's a whopping 25k download limited to 14k upload.
Bacil ????? What's wrong with my calculator ????

I assume ADSL almost exclusively uses PPoe and most providers give you a
device similar to a modem, not a router. That's where PPoe comes in.
Boy I'd be great if Barry's provider gave him asn ADSL router to use.....
Good point Bacil. I think you can get the Flowpoint routers on eBay cheap.

Segway to next paragraph.....

BTW - Regarding your first point:
DSL not only sucks, the industry is shrinking like mad BECAUSE OF IT.
What I've read and experienced attest to poor support,
ignorant implementation in the CO's, and just plain poor circuit
quality. Not to mention Ameritech's lack of cooperation.
I don't have beat myself in the head with a hammer to
know it's gonna hurt, do I ? I have friends and colleges I can learn
(what not to do) from.
There is a reason I have no personal experience with DSL, it sucks.

Now SDSL....that's a whole different story. But I would bet Barry
would not want to pay the premium price for that service. If he's close
enough to the CO to qualify. Cable is MUCH faster, dollar for dollar.

You know, I'll bet Barry knows all of the above info since he
us obviously capable of some fairly advanced routing already.......
Barry asked for HELPFUL hints, Bacil.

Message in response to:

>on 10/25/01 5:08 AM, Dave Braford <braford@hanon-mckendry.com> is purported
>to have said:
>
>> I don't have personal exprience with DSL, because it sucks.
>> Can't you get cable internet in you area ??? Cheaper.
>> Just as fast in the long-run. Easier. No PPoe.
>
>1) If you don't have any personal experience with it, you can't know whether
>it sucks or not.
>2) I have used both Cable and DSL. DSL is much faster, average-over-time.
>3) I don't know about your setup, but my DSL setup does not involve PPPoe.
>The DSL router gets its address from the providers DHCP pool, and my
>computers are on a private subnet. I use NAT on the router, and filter
>there. If your provider forces your computer to use DHCP, rather than the
>router, poke around in the router a bit. If it's a Cisco, email me off-list
>and I'll see if I can get you started.
>
>--
>Bacil D. Warren, CNA
>Lead Programmer, CEO