Re: LaCie CD-RW

Subject: Re: LaCie CD-RW
From: Stephen Prause (SPRAUSE@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 09:12:57 MDT

I was using the Tasty Morsels 2.4.4 kernel supplied by YDL2. I
really appreciate the link to xcdroast. I downloaded all the
latest RPMs for xcdroast and associated CDRW tools. What a nice
piece of software! Nice user friendly GUI. It was able to
detect and find my LaCie drive pretty easily during root setup.
It could not identify my ATAPI CD-ROM for reading initially.
Followed the xcdroast instructions (FAQ) and figured out how to
set up as an IDE-SCSI device. Something like adding "options
ide-cd ignore''hdd'" to my modules.conf and added the
"hdd=ide-scsi" to my boot arguments.

This changed my devices. I added the following links for my
system. cdrom->/dev/scd0, cdwr->/dev/scd1. Now my fstab will
let me mount the systems for reading and my CD player
application still works with the new cdrom device link. However
when I actually tried to run an actual CD roast (Audio CD copy),
it didn't work.

The busy light was stuck on quite some time, the application
seemed stuck for about a minute, then produced a galore of SCSI
ioctl type errors. Terminated application and the CDRW device
was no longer accessible. I will try to change the setting from
autodetect to SONY to see if it will help. I'll let you know.