Re: Routing Question

Subject: Re: Routing Question
From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 11:06:16 MDT

>on 10/25/01 5:08 AM, Dave Braford <braford@hanon-mckendry.com> is purported
>to have said:
>
>> I don't have personal exprience with DSL, because it sucks.
>> Can't you get cable internet in you area ??? Cheaper.
>> Just as fast in the long-run. Easier. No PPoe.
>
>1) If you don't have any personal experience with it, you can't know whether
>it sucks or not.
>2) I have used both Cable and DSL. DSL is much faster, average-over-time.

Most DSL setups I've seen use PPPoE. In my area, a cable modem is a
faster and more economical option. It's $45/mo for a cable modem.
The only drawback is the upload line is capped to 128kbps, but I
don't mind because the download stream is much faster. It's common
for me to see ~3Mbps. The DSL alternatives aren't that good.
Ameritech's DSL service is only 128k/768kbps, and I don't get a
static IP. The only DSL service that would satisfy my needs would be
Covad, but that's not cheap. :)

--Brian