Re: Routing Question

Subject: Re: Routing Question
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 12:33:18 MDT

At 5:50 AM -0700 10/25/01, Bacil D. Warren, Lead Programmer wrote:
>on 10/25/01 5:08 AM, Dave Braford <braford@hanon-mckendry.com> is purported
>to have said:
>
>> I don't have personal exprience with DSL, because it sucks.
>> Can't you get cable internet in you area ??? Cheaper.
>> Just as fast in the long-run. Easier. No PPoe.
>
>1) If you don't have any personal experience with it, you can't know whether
>it sucks or not.
>2) I have used both Cable and DSL. DSL is much faster, average-over-time.

This greatly depends on your provider and where you're at. Cable
modems have enormous downstream capacity (up to 40 Mbps), so it's a
matter of whether the provider's network infrastructure near your
home gets you acceptable real throughput to the rest of the net.
Where I'm at, that infrastructure is quite good. I've clocked
downloads at 400-500 KB/s, or 3 to 4 megabits per second. And it
doesn't slow down at any time of the day (or at least not that I've
noticed). Typical consumer DSL service can't even touch that,
because (unlike cable) the link between customer and ISP is limited
to somewhere between 384 Kbps and 1.5 Mbps, with most people getting
closer to 384 due to poor lines and/or distance from the CO and/or
the phone company's increasing unwillingness to spend a dime
improving lines for DSL.

--
Tim Seufert