turning ppp on

Subject: turning ppp on
From: Scott Frankel (leknarf@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 20:48:18 MDT

When I try to turn ppp on from the command line, as root, i get the following
error:

    /usr/sbin/pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP. This could be
    because
    the PPP kernel module could not be loaded, or because PPP was not
    included in the kernel configuration. If PPP was included as a
    module, try `/sbin/modprobe -v ppp'. If that fails, check t

The modprobe can't locate module ppp.

In compiling a new kernel, which of the Network Device Support items
should be checked "yes?" In the kernel I just recenty built (to try to get
the Keyspan USB<>Serial converter to work), I've got PPP Support set to "y."
That's not enough? Which other items need to be toggled? "PPP support for
sync tty ports" maybe?

Cruising into new territory here, thanks in advance -
Scott