Re: Password Issues on 2.1

Subject: Re: Password Issues on 2.1
From: Ken Schweigert (ken@byte-productions.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 09:33:50 MDT

It sounds like the password libraries didn't install, but the shadow libs did.
Why, I cannot say.

Since you can't login as a user, I would assume you don't have much vested in
to your install (custom kernels, a lot of data saved, etc) so I would
recommend doing another clean install.

One thing you might want to try first would be to check to see if the password
libs are installed.
   rpm -qa | grep pwdb
If this doesn't return anything, try to install it from the CD.
   rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RPMS/pwdb-0.61.1-1.ppc.rpm
This is the version from YDL2.0, so replace the version number with the one
from the CD.

If all else fails, a clean install, paying close attention to which packages
your are or are not installing.

HTH.

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 10:03:02AM -0400, Russell Burns wrote: > I have a couple of questions on my install. When I go through the > installer and set a password for root, it doesn't seem to work. I get > to log in without a password, and whatever I set upon install doesn't > show up in the etc/shadow file. Also, while trying to create a new > user, either with the installer or useradd, the password shows up in the > etc/shadow file, but I still can't logon as a user. If I try to use a > passwd user, I get the error message "passwd: error while loading > shared libraries libpwdb.so.0: cannot load shared object file: no such > file or directory." Is there any way to get YDL not to use the password > database stuff, or should I try to find that library and download it? > It isn't on either the install CD or the tasty morsels CD.