Re: Simple XF4 question: switch to TTY, also PPP question

Subject: Re: Simple XF4 question: switch to TTY, also PPP question
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nm@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 09:46:28 MDT

OK, that's one of those "I swear it didn't work the last ten times I tried
it" situations... ;) Thanks Graham.

Now that I've got your attention...

Anybody have any advice on setting up a PPP connection between a beige G3
(YDL 2.0) and a Quadra 605 (Debian Potato)? [actually it's a sort of
pseudo-605, i gave it a real non-buggy 040] I've got the basic commands
down (pppd noauth -detach <handshake> lock <ip1:ip2> /dev/ttySX 38400 &)
but I keep getting timeouts when I try to bring up the connection. I
figure it's the handshake, I've tried and had no luck with crtscts,
nocrtscts, cdtrcts, and nocdtrcts.

I can get minicom to talk using software handshaking, 38.4 N81 from the G3
if I have serial terminals enabled in /etc/inittab on the quadra (also at
38.4, btw, I don't think the serial chip in this critter wants to run any
faster) --- any ideas on what i need to make PPP work? I did rig up a
pseudo-null modem cable with things I had laying around, but it seems that
if i can get happy transmissions with minicom i should by rights be able
to get the same out of pppd.

- Nathan