Installing 2.1 on a 7500

Subject: Installing 2.1 on a 7500
From: John Eckman (eckman@liquidsquid.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 11:01:15 MDT

I've previously tried unsuccessfully to install from a 2.0 ISO.

I'm expecting my 2.1 CD to arrive any day now, and wondering if I will be
more successful.

The 7500 in quesiton has 144 Megs of ram, and 3 drives:

1. Internal SCSI 4.5 Gig IBM drive, scsi id 0
2. Internal SCSI 2.3 Gig Seagate drive, scsi id 1
3. Internal CD-ROM drive, default apple install

I have an Apple 16" monitor- the old kind.

What I want to do is have MacOS (8.6? 9.2?) on the 2.3 gig drive, and YDL
2.1 on the larger drive.

2 questions:

1. I've heard that Linux can have trouble with SCSI Id:0 drives in a 7500.
Is this true? Anyone using YDL on a 7500 on SCSI ID 0?

2. When I tried to install 2.0, when I tried to boot (using BootX, a
ramdisk, and the kernel from the 2.0 ISO) I would get some console text,
then the screen would go totally f'd up, and never come back - as though it
were not getting sync. (not totally black, not snow, but no visible image-
just junk).

What video settings should I put in the kernel options to get 832x624, at 8
or 16 bit?

Thanks in advance for your assistance-

John

John Eckman "It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper
www.liquidsquid.com to just suck on a penny"