Re: help with 8500 and sonnet G3 card

Subject: Re: help with 8500 and sonnet G3 card
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 13:48:28 MDT

At 11:54 PM -0700 10/25/01, Troy J Strobel wrote:

>Why does linux _not_ recognize my G3 card's true speed?
>This is the response I get when I type in cat /proc/cpuinfo

[...]

>clock : 195MHz

[...]

>The Mac is an upgraded 8500.
>Sonnet G3 400mhz w/ 1MB L2 Cache

Much of the stuff in /proc/cpuinfo is information gotten from Open
Firmware. For whatever reason, it is very common for the 8500
(&similar) OF to think that your processor is 195 MHz if it is just
about anything other than the factory original CPU. (I've seen that
happen when the upgrade card is a 604e, which you'd think even that
old OF version would be able to handle.)

/proc/cpuinfo is purely informational, so "don't worry, be happy".
There isn't any way for software to reduce the CPU's clock speed in
the 8500 motherboard design. (Note that your bogomips is about 800
-- a G3 with all its performance features such as BTIC and BHT
enabled scores roughly 2 bogomips per MHz.)

--
Tim Seufert