Re: Take me off this list as well.

Subject: Re: Take me off this list as well.
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 23:38:31 MDT

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Brian L. Friesen wrote:
>I am switching to Mac OS X Server. It's expensive, but I know it will
>work and allow me to do what I need to do.

 That's funny, I'm *not* using OSX, because it's expensive and it won't
work right out of the box. Just try to compile some decent open source
software for it, you *might* get it to work after symlinking library files
and patching source code. The important things to me (Apache, Postgres,
Perl, PHP, mod_ssl etc.) compile with ease and I can get going in no time
in Linux, I can't say the same for OS X yet. Also, my Intel server is
setup almost identically to my G4s, no funny file paths with upper case
letters, and no NetInfo or hidden system files. I still haven't figured
out why, when I log into OS X as >console (to get rid of the GUI) and then
login, my default shell isn't read properly from any of the config files.

>I have bought Linux books and printed out hundreds of pages of manuals
>and read through as much as I can stand. My intention was to spend my
>time building sites and applications, not programming Linux or sifting
>through numerous books, web sites and page after page of obscure
>commands and then trying to figure out why they don't work.

 Maybe it wasn't the quantity of pages but the quality of the content. I
have found many poorly written Linux books and web site (same goes for
other OSes as well). Honestly, if it is well explained, Linux/Unix isn't
that hard to grasp. BTW, OS X is based on the exact same bunch of 'obscure
commands' and concepts that Linux is based on. If you want to do anything
interesting with OS X, you'll still need to learn them.

>I expected an interface to tie everything together and make the server
>set up easier.

 Why don't you use NT then, the server gets setup easily and gets hacked
even easier - there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Chris