Re: Easy way to set up Samba and netatalk?

Subject: Re: Easy way to set up Samba and netatalk?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 11:48:08 MST

At 7:26 AM -0800 10/28/01, Wes Plate wrote:
>I'm a complete Linux neophyte (though quite a Mac power user), and a bit
>uncomfortable with command-line usage. The research I've done so far into
>getting netatalk and samba installed look like a big job-- compiling the
>source and getting everything up and running scares me.
>
>First, did YellowDog install samba and netatalk when I did the home/office
>install? If so, its just a matter of learning to config I guess.

Probably not.

>Second, if they're not installed, is there an easy method for getting these
>services up and running? If not, I can hire my UNIX-savvy father to do the
>installs for me, but I'd prefer not to.

Mount the YDL CD, install the Samba and netatalk RPMs. As root in
the directory containing RPMs on the CD:

rpm -Uvh samba-1.x.x.ppc.rpm

(substitute the real name of course -- you'll have to go through the
directory and find the relevant RPMs)

If you run into dependency errors, you'll have to install any RPMs
needed to satisfy them. You can usually figure out what needs to get
installed from the error.

--
Tim Seufert