Advice on Apple warranties and an iBook?

Subject: Advice on Apple warranties and an iBook?
From: Matt Larson (ml582@columbia.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 07:26:03 MST

An Apple hardware related question, semi off-topic but not that far off:
my iBook2 (500 mhz), which happily runs YDL, has developed a slight
discoloration in one horizontal line on the screen. It's actually not
that bad, but one problem leads to others, and I want the machine I paid
for. What I'd like to know is if anyone has had to return a laptop to
Apple, just to know what I'm in for. I'm very annoyed, because I have
spent a lot of time setting up a nice triple boot (9, os10.1, YDL 2.0)
and tweaking the YDL install (upgrading to KDE 2.2.1, Gnome 1.4, etc.)
and I don't want to have to reinstall now. Will they send me a new one
or repair my current one? Also, if there's a good Apple-specific
computer store around, do they do Apple warranty repairs? The warranty
card states that they are not responsible for data, of course, and I
guess that's to be expected.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt Larson