SCSI troubles

Subject: SCSI troubles
From: Kjell Konis (wackyboy@u.washington.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 14:09:27 MST

I just bought a 9500MP that came with two hard drives (both apple
branded), a 1 gig with ID 0 and a 4 gig with ID 4 and a CDrom with ID 3.
I have another 4 gig non apple drive that I want to use instead of the 1
gig drive. So I installed OS9 on a 500MB HFS partition of the 4 gig apple
drive and gave it ID 0 and I put the non apple 4 gig drive in with ID 4.
When I booted the computer hung with a smiley mac in the center of the
screen. When I booted off a CD the computer got as far a loading the
finder but then hung when it was tring to mount the hard drives. So I
removed the 4 gig non apple drive because I thought I might have a SCSI
conflict (I didn't though) and I had the same problem, the computer hangs
as soon it tries to mount the 4 gig apple drive. For some reason I put
the 1 gig drive back in with ID 4 and that made everything work. I could
boot OS9 off the 4 gig apple drive (and I managed to install YDL2 on it).
So, long story short, the 4 gig apple drive only works when the 1 gig
apple drive is also on the chain. The 1 gig drive and the 4 gig non-apple
drive each work by themselves. Any ideas/suggestions as to what's going
on would be appreciated.

Kjell