Re: Wanna By some Disks cheap

Subject: Re: Wanna By some Disks cheap
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nm@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 11:54:57 MST

Dan, I'm going to write you off-list and more extensively, but this is a
/great/ place to ask for help step by step. Linux will happily sit there
for days waiting for you to get a response from the list about mount
points, installation or anything else.

Linux will sometimes ferret out hardware problems that MacOS ignores
(especially SCSI issues, and sometimes RAM), and it sounds like you might
be running into some of those issues, but as I said, I'm writing you off
list to see if we can clear some of this stuff up.

Just so you know, I first installed a PPC Linux on my Power Computing
PowerCenter 604/e two years ago. It was LinuxPPC, it was OK. Since then
I've upgraded to YDL, switched machines, and most recently upgraded YDL
itself and added two 40GB hard drives, all without having to mess around
in MacOS, and with very little hassle in general. And I had zero Linux
experience before I started. So it can be done.

Now don't you dare use those CDs as coasters yet. Let's get you fixed up.
If it ain't operator error I'll /personally/ send you a twenty. :) We
might have to ask the list for a few tips along the way, since I haven't
used YDL 2.1's installer (or 2.0's for that matter, I just did the upgrade
with RPM) but I'm /sure/ we can get it cleared up.

- Nathan