Re: Wanna By some Disks cheap

Subject: Re: Wanna By some Disks cheap
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 18:13:14 MST

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Andy Hocker wrote:
> That brings up a question I wanted to ask. I installed
> an additional 128 MB of memory in my old-school iBook (which
> comes with a paltry 32 MB). For some reason I couldn't boot
> YDL 1.2 with the additional memory (I posted about this a few
> weeks ago so I refer to you the archives if you want more
> details) so I had to take it back out.
>
> So my question is, when I go to install YDL 2.1 (haven't received
> my CD yet 'cause I ordered the "Getting Started" book too), should
> I try to install with the additional memory in there, or would that
> be too dicey?
<snip>
> P.S. By the way, someone suggested taking the 32 MB out and just
> using the 128 MB... I don't have my iBook here at work with me,
> but if I remember correctly when I opened things up, the stock memory
> wasn't something you could just take out without doing some major
> disassembly work, so I was too nervous to try. Maybe I'll have another
> look.

Can you boot with that additional memory into MacOS? If you can boot, try
launching something that would use lots of memory, and see if it crashes.

Most of the time when somebody says "I just bought new memory, and it
doesn't work." something is wrong with the memory ...

You can't remove the first 32 MB - it is soldered on.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net