Re: Strange, man...just plain strange!

Subject: Re: Strange, man...just plain strange!
From: Chip Witt (chip.witt@westwave.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 19:56:19 MST

Well, after much work I'm back where I began. Pointing Open Firmware to the partition that should have the bootstrap info in it fails.

When I tried formating an HFS partition via the MacOS boot disks, YD 2.1 installer does not recognize it as a valid partition in which to place the yaboot stuff. It forces me to create the partition for the bootloader from within the partitioning section of the installer. When I do this, the partition is not created correctly (creating a
filesystem labelled as either "none" or "swap" -- even if I delete the old partitions, save, create new partitions, and save), and although the bootloader section of the YD installer claims to find the correct partition and allegedly installs the yaboot stuff, the partition does not have the cheese to boot into the OS.

On the upside, I can now blaze through the entire text-based YD 2.1 installer in my sleep (and will probably have resulting nightmares).

Downside, I downloaded MandrakePPC 8.0 and got all but X working on my loverly little Powerbook G4 in about 40 minutes from boot to reboot. Just tried it out to reassure myself that I do know what I'm doing and it's not the hardware. Hate to be a traitor after buying the YD 2.1 disks (and the T-shirt), but I'm afraid I may have no choice
unless someone out there has a mighty fine suggestion.

Cheers.

CW