Re: Yaboot on iMac-233 RevB Bondi Blue

Subject: Re: Yaboot on iMac-233 RevB Bondi Blue
From: Max Wiberg (max.wiberg@psy.umu.se)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 06:01:51 MST

>My apologies if this is too simple or wasn't what you were looking
>for, or if you've already tried this, but I think you're confusing
>open firmware boots and booting from yaboot. Once you've hit 'l' to
>go to the yaboot boot: prompt, you need to boot a kernel. Usually
>hitting return boots the default kernel.

It DOES not.
Tab options are: *linux linux-novideo

If I hit enter nothing happens, I get returned to the
boot: prompt.
if I write vmlinux or linux or linux-novideo, and hit return.
the boot menu locks up and nothing happens.

The black screens last forever 15-20 minutes at least,

>Hit 'tab' to see a list of all possible boot options (though you may
>have done that). In your case typing vmlinux-2.2.19-1k should do
>it, since that looks to be a kernel that you've got installed.
>Also, you definitely will boot /dev/hda11 (not the bootstrap
>partition /dev/hda7), but that shouldn't have to come into play here.
>
>If typing the kernel name doesn't work, I'd imagine it's a yaboot
>config problem and you may have to boot from cd, mount your
>partition, and then edit /etc/yaboot.conf. Write for instructions
>on this if needed.

Can I really do that from the CD?
What option shold I choose from the CD-boot-menu?

Max!