Re: SMP Kernel - newer G4

Subject: Re: SMP Kernel - newer G4
ghannon@cspi.com
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 09:24:29 MST

On 10/31/01 12:05 AM, Mark Jaffe wrote:

>On 10/30/01 2:36 PM, "ghannon@cspi.com" <ghannon@cspi.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm trying to get a new G4 with dual 800MHz something working.
>> (/proc/cpuinfo says cpu: unknown 80000201)
>> It works fine with the 2.4.4-1a kernel on the YDL 2.0 CD, but it does
not
>> work when I enable SMP
>> and rebuild, or if I use the SMP kernel in that distribution
(2.4.4-1asmp).

>Gary,

>Try this: http://www.terraplex.com/~dburcaw/kernel-2.4.10-12a.ppc.rpm

>Mark

That kernel works in novideo mode, but doesn't seem to do anything with the
second processor.
/proc/cpuinfo shows the cpu as 7450 with Altivec which is correct, but only
shows one CPU.
I poked around for an smp version in that directory but didn't hit paydirt.
Unfortunately I can't see what files are there.

Is there an SMP binary, or a source rpm?

If there is one on the 2.1 CD, that gives me the excuse to get out and buy
it.

Gary Hannon