installation woes

Subject: installation woes
From: Andrew (ajmorris@mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 12:01:36 MST

hey,

I have a problem with my YDL2.0 CD's

I managed to get a installation onto my computer a week or two ago,
and things were working fine.

Today I wiped that installation since I had made a mess of some of
the configs and wanted to get it all right (stupid, i know, but there
you are, i reckoned since it had worked once (eventually) it would
work a second time) I tried to reinstall several times, and each time
I could get to the package installation and no further. The window
with the progress bars for package installation appears, and the text
"reading local package database" appears. Then the installer freezes
and I have to turn it off and restart.

I have wiped the partitions and reset them up many times, updated hd
drivers, tried dozens of times to get it to do something, but it
refuses.

The YDL CD also has problems being read by Mac OS 8.6 - sometimes it
will not mount and I get a disk error, or a "disk is unreadable by
this computer" message. The cd has a few small scratches on it, but
no worse than a few other cd's i have which still work fine.

The question I am asking is - is it an error with the CD due too the
scratches, in which case I shall have to buy some new ones, or is
there something which I can alter or something like that to make it
start working again?

thanks in advance for any help you can give

Andrew

P.S. System info:
iMac 266 MHz.
OS 8.6
10MB bootloader partition
74MB Swap
1250MB root partition
remaining hd space is 2 macos partitions, one hfs, one hfs+ (1.7gig
and 3 gig respectively)
160MB ram

thats all i can think of which is useful, let me know if more info is needed