external drives

Subject: external drives
From: John Klinck (klinck@ccpo.odu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 14:23:00 MST

  The question about formatting drives, brings up the question of YDL compatable
external drive hardware which I have not been able to find.

  I have a G4 TiBook. YDL 2.0 (dual boot macos9.1), with which I am very happy
(Thanks, Dan).

     Can I get a pci scsi card and connect external scsi drives?

     Can I get usb drives and mount them on YDL?

     Are firewire devices still not recognized by YDL?

     Can any of the small portable hard disks be mounted under YDL?

     I can use these drives as a way to move files between the macos and YDL
partitions and for offline storage and backup.

     I am happy to get pointers to HOWTO or FAQ that I may have missed.

     John

John M. Klinck
Center for Coastal Physical Oceanography
Department of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, Virginia 23529
phone: 757 683-6005, fax: 757 683-5550 email: klinck@ccpo.odu.edu