Re: YDL will not install

Subject: Re: YDL will not install
From: Michael A. Peters (Moonglue@141.com )
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 15:03:35 MDT

I installed YD 1.2 no problem with a beige g3 (333 MHz on a Rev 1
Motherboard- the cpu was upgraded from original 233) with a USB card
and a Logitech optical mouse attached.

Here's what I suggest-

1) get rid of the current ramdisk and bootx stuff.
2) download the latest BootX from http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

That's the BootX I used.

Put the ramdisk from the YD cd into your system folder.
Put the kernel from the yellowdog CD into into the kernels folder.

Make sure your Mac OS color is set to millions. I don't know if its
an issue on Beige G3, but I had better results on an iMac install if
the Mac OS color depth was set to millions of colors before the
install.

Run the bootx installer, click on options and choose the ramdisk.
With the new BootX, you do NOT need to specify ram disk size.

It sounds like maybe your zip drive is giving you some problems- if I
were you, I'd disconnect the zip drive for the install. After
reconnecting the zip drive, since its at a lower SCSI id than your
root drive, you will need to adjust your root device.

For example- w/o the zip drive, if it says your root device is
/dev/sdc6

then WITH the zip drive- it would be
/dev/sdd6

Here's what to do-

boot w/o the zip drive. Edit you /etc/fstab (IMPORTANT- YOU MUST DO
THIS) and change the drive letters in your fstab to account for the
Zip Drive.

Shut down. Add the zip drive, boot.

If there is ANY WAY you can change the ID of your scsi drive (I
assume from your zip drive discussion you are installing to SCSI??)
to something lower, do it. That way adding the zip drive won't screw
stuff up. External drives usually have a switch, internal drives you
can usually set with a jumper.

My usb card is a Belkin USB card. I also have an adaptec 2930
PowerDomain Ultra SCSI card- and the dribe I installed to is on that
bus (opposed to the slow Apple built in SCSI bus).

The installer went flawlessly for me, with the USB mouse attached.

Good Luck!

-=-
Regarding SuSE 6.4-
I just tried installing that on an iMac today. Installer was first
class all the way, but my iMac is one of the ones that has the
keyboard/SuSE problem.

So after install, I booted into YD and downloaded the RPM, put it on
the SuSE root, and booted SuSE single. Well tried to- my iMac kernel
panicks with the kernel SuSE provides.

So I booted YD again, edited the SuSE inittab to boot runlevel 2, and
booted SuSE off of the YellowDog kernel. Didn't panick- but accepted
no keyboard input.

Booted off my 2.2.17pre16 kernel. Got keyboard... could log in. but X
on my kernel doesn't work with the mouse (grrrrr)

I believe I can get it working- I know what the mouse issue with my
kernel- and once its working, it looks like a real sweet system (I
did almost everything install. There's even a Nintendo emulator!)
-=-
SuSE 6.4 is their first PowerPC distro. Cut them some slack- it works
well out of box on some machines, I expect 7.0 for ppc to be much
better for more machines. Their book is really nice too, though its
obvious they made some serious changes from book publish to CD
publish.

Michael A. Peters-- http://24.5.29.77/Linux_Pages/
                                http://www.omnilinux.com/