Re: Root access and X Windows

Subject: Re: Root access and X Windows
From: Paul Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 09:49:08 MDT

At 11:17 AM -0700 9/1/00, Robert Vogt IV wrote:
> How do I connect to my YDL machine with eXodus? I've tried the commands
>in the docs and other UNIX manuals, and get "permission denied" errors.

What exactly did you try? Did you tell eXodus to allow connections
from your YDL machine? Did you "setenv DISPLAY" on your YDL machine
to point to your MacOS box? (setenv DISPLAY hostname.of.mac:0.0)

> Also, how do I get root access remotely? Should I modify the telnet
>daemon source to let me do so, or is there a more secure connection
>technique?

Use ssh, which encrypts end-to-end so the traffic can't be sniffed.
There are other things you can do (a one time password system, for
example), but ssh is simpler and much safer. Never type root's
password over a network in the clear.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> -Robert Vogt IV

Paul Schinder