Re: "Too many open files in system"

Subject: Re: "Too many open files in system"
From: Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 11:08:04 MDT

At 11:41 AM -0400 9/1/00, Paul Schinder wrote:
>At 6:53 AM -0700 9/1/00, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>>got this message last night while the system was busy sending a
>>bunch of end-of-month email.
>>
>>Looks like the kernel file table is too small. How do I increase
>>the size of this under linux?
>
>Well, there's a /proc/sys/fs/file-max,

Thanks! I hadn't found that doc yet, and I couldn't find the info in
the stuff I'd looked through...

Stupid question: does this need to be changed on every reboot, or is
it fixed once I set it? (easy way to check: reboot the silly system.
I'll do that tonight...)

>So it depends on what caused your problem. If you hit the
>application's limit, it looks like you need to recompile the kernel.
>Otherwise, try raising file-max.

I don't believe it was an app limit -- I had a LOT of mail going on
at the time, and with everything else, I think I hit the system limit
(we'll see!). I have raised the issue with the developer of mailman,
in case a change he made to b5 is leaking fd's, though, just in case.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"