Re: "Too many open files in system"

Subject: Re: "Too many open files in system"
From: Paul Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 11:36:22 MDT

At 10:08 AM -0700 9/1/00, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>Stupid question: does this need to be changed on every reboot, or is
>it fixed once I set it? (easy way to check: reboot the silly system.
>I'll do that tonight...)

I don't know for sure. It seems like a good idea for it to be saved,
but on the other hand, I don't remember seeing anything in the boot
sequence that said something like "restoring kernel parameters". In
any event, you can always just put an "echo number >
/proc/sys/fs/file-max" at the end of rc.local. (That would be easier
than remembering to change it in the kernel source each time you
built a kernel.)

Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com