Re: Linux mail server

Subject: Re: Linux mail server
From: Darron Froese (darron@froese.org)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 01:47:02 MDT

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Robert Vogt IV wrote:

> What freeware/shareware mail software package would anyone recommend for
> my situation:
>
> Web Hosting company, need to establish large number of POP3 or IMAP
> email accounts by domain.

Cyrus provides pop3 and imap services:

<http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/>

Postfix provides the SMTP services:

<http://www.styx.org/postfix/start.html>

> Want to be able to maintain accounts separate from UNIX users.

No problem - having a UNIX user account doesn't necessarily mean that you
have a Cyrus account - they can be separate. It's all how you set it up.

> Provide catch-all functionality.

If you mean that all mail for a certain domain will go to a certail local
mailbox, Postfix will provide that feature (using the virtual table).

> ? Essentially, a feature set similar to Eudora's latest mail server, but
> for YDL (and inexpensive). Can sendmail do all of this? What about qmail.

Sendmail can do the SMTP part of this, but then you have to deal with .mc
and .cf files - yuk. If you are using Postfix, there is a single main
configuration file "main.cf" that's human readable and understandable.

I haven't tried qmail so I can't really vouch for it - some people swear
by it - some people just swear at it's author. I'm *very* happy with
Postfix and would suggest you try it.

--
Darron
darron@froese.org