Re: summer 2000 iMac

Subject: Re: summer 2000 iMac
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 03:35:53 MDT

>Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:05:59 -0700
>From: Nathaniel Irons <burpelson@bumppo.net>
>
>I'd be curious to know if the new iMacs will work should you swap the
>extended keyboard and optical mouse with the versions that came with
>previous iMacs. In other words, is it the peripherals that's the
>problem, or the USB guts of the machine?
>
> -nat

In my (recent and novice) experience, it's a USBCore problem; on my DVSE
500, it was dropping power to the USB ports! (the cs1.2 distro's 2.2.17pre9
kernel, IIRC). BenH's kernels (all of them) liked the keyboard. I suspect,
with the modules in place, most of them would accept the mouse. Problem is
that you'll have to skip mouseconfig and Xconfigurator during install.
Otherwise, the install was perfectly smooth with ben's kernels. (I know - I
ran each except the one he's done ben1 and ben2 of, because I couldn't d/l
those two)

I've been using the pro keyboard and pro mouse for about 14 hours now. see
my previous post on how I did it.

William F. Hostman
Mailto:aramis@gci.net Mailto:wilh@alaska.com mailto:mhaa2@pobox.alaska.net
ICQ:14640742