Re: OpenFirmare dual boot problem

Subject: Re: OpenFirmare dual boot problem
From: Riccardo Gusso (grick@libero.it, grick@mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 06:49:39 MDT

>Subject: OpenFirmare dual boot problem
>
>Hi Everyone, I've got yaboot working on my Mac with YellowDog Linux
>using the information (and a fair bit of imagination) in the back of the
>YDL manual, but I can't get the dual boot CHTP script to work:
>
><CHRP-BOOT>
> <COMPATIBLE>
> iMac,1 PowerMac1,1 PowerBook1,1 PowerMac2,1 PowerMac3,1 PowerBook2,1
>PowerBook3,1
> </COMPATIBLE>
>
> <DESCRIPTION>
> Boot chooser
> </DESCRIPTION>
>
> <BOOT-SCRIPT>
> " get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
> dup 20 dump
> 5 + c@ 08 =
> if
> ." Booting Yaboot ..." cr " boot hd:5,\\yaboot.tbxi" eval
> else
> ." Booting MacOS ..." cr " boot hd:5,\\:tbxi" eval
> then
> </BOOT-SCRIPT>
></CHRP-BOOT>
>
>First, by the keyboardis frozen until yaboot or MacOS finish (which one
>depends on who I place in the default position in the if else then
>part). By Playing around with OF I found out that the line:
>
>" get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
>
>is causing this. I don't know enough about OF to hack this but I seems
>to me that a boot chooser shouldn't disable the keyboard. Also, can
>anyone tell me what the script is actually checking for with the c@ byte
>fetch to make its decision of what to boot. I'm using Mac Open Firmware
>3.10.f10.
>Any help would be appreciated, havinf to call yabbot from the OF command
>line is irritating.
>
>thanks
>Dan Kortschak
Hi Dan,
I have beeen having the same exact problem with my imac rev.B; I solved
it upgrading to ybin 0.17 that you can find at
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/ybin/

The new CHRP script works!
Bye.
         Rick

"And what can I tell you my brother, my killer
 What can I possibly say?
 I guess that I miss you, I guess I forgive you
 I'm glad you stood in my way."
      L. Cohen, "Famous blue raincoat"