Re: xterminal permissions?

Subject: Re: xterminal permissions?
From: Karl Safranek (karls142@home.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 18:19:04 MDT

goo:
> You say "certain" commands...but it almost sounds like you're trying to use
> the console window as an xterm, which shouldn't work at all.

Ummm... maybe I am, I'm not sure I know what you mean by the console window,
but I did try it in xterm with the same results. (see below)

> Assuming you're /not/ doing that, have you looked at your $PATH variable in
> both cases and compared them? You can also just do "which <command>" and if
> the command is in your PATH, you'll get back the full path for it -- if it's
> /not/ in your PATH, it won't show up.
>
> goo

It appears I'm missing /sbin in all my paths except as root in level 3 --is
this YD's default or did I mess up when upgrading to XF4? I don't see a
problem with this if it's some sort of a security feature, but how would I
go about changing a PATH if I wanted to? Could I just place a symlink of
certain commands from the sbin directory to say the /usr/local/bin directory
and have it work?

KDE Konsole output (same as xterm)

bash-2.03$ consoletype
bash: consoletype: command not found
bash-2.03$ $PATH
bash: /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin: No such file or
directory
bash-2.03$ which consoletype
which: no consoletype in (/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin)
bash-2.03$ su
Password:
[root@karls142 karl]# consoletype
bash: consoletype: command not found
[root@karls142 karl]# $PATH
bash: /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin: No such file or
directory
[root@karls142 karl]# which consoletype
[root@karls142 karl]#

runlevel 3 tty1 output of $PATH:

As root: bash:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin: No
such file or directory

As karl: bash:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin: No such file or
directory

Oh, and sorry for the double posting, for some strange reason my message got
sent but remained in the 'Outbox'.