RAM limitations with YDL?

Subject: RAM limitations with YDL?
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 07:53:03 MDT

Greetings,

 Last night I tried to add an additional 512MB of RAM (making it 1 GB
total) in my G4 server machine which is currently running YDL CS1.2
(default kernel). With the additional RAM, the machine wouldn't boot.
Yaboot would seem to work properly, but instead if booting, I would get 5
lines of memory addresses (2 per line) with the last line saying
'booting...' and then the machine would freeze.

 I removed one of the 256MB DIMMS, and I got the same thing, only when I
removed all the additional RAM did my machine boot again.

 So, today I'm going to test out the RAM in another G4, as I can't really
test this one because it is a live search engine machine (as well as file
server for our office).... but I was wondering: Are there any RAM
limitations in YDL? I have 512 MB of swap space, would I need to change
this to 1GB also?

 Any help, info would be much appreciated.

 Puzzled,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada