Re: SSH long delay on login

Subject: Re: SSH long delay on login
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 09:19:34 MDT

>I discovered the problem is related to my installing a second NIC. With just
>one NIC active the problem doesn't happen.
>
>I'm very confused about how to configure this correctly. Used Linuxconf,
>netcfg, and did it by hand with ifconfig and route.
>
>I'll have to go over all my network settings step-by-step and see if I can
>figure it out.

That's wierd, cause I have a similar problem. Not that I have a solution,
but I have some observations which may help diagnosis. I'm actually having
this problem on an x86 linux box running RedHat, but I suspect it'll be the
same thing.

when I telnet to it and log on as myself I get in instantly. If I'm
telnetted in from MacOS and I su to root I get the root prompt instantly.
However, if I'm telnetted in from YDL and I su I have to wait several
minutes before the root prompt appears.

The interesting thing is that I also have two NICs active. Why it works
when I telnet from MacOS and not from YDL is a complete mystery to me. I'm
using NiftyTelnet on the Mac side if that's relevant.

I'm assuming that something is timing out, but I have no idea what it would be.

Hope that is a clue to someone.

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall