Re: SSH long delay on login

Subject: Re: SSH long delay on login
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 19:54:45 MDT

>"William K. Gibson" wrote:
>
>> on 9/6/00 11:19 AM, Peter M. Bagnall at pete@surfaceeffect.com wrote:
>>
>> > when I telnet to it and log on as myself I get in instantly. If I'm
>> > telnetted in from MacOS and I su to root I get the root prompt instantly.
>> > However, if I'm telnetted in from YDL and I su I have to wait several
>> > minutes before the root prompt appears.
>>
>> Hmmm, isn't there something in the ssh docs that discuss the amount of time
>> it takes to generate a new key? Perhaps you are generating a new key every
>> single time or it is confused and generating keys multiple times?
>>
>> Just a guess...
>>
>> --William K. Gibson
>> 1stDesk Systems
>> firstdesk@columbus.rr.com
>
>if you run a tail session on the machine are logging into ( tail -f -n 20
>/var/log/messages ) you should see ( generating new rsa key ) this would be
>one reason for the delay, keep this in mind....

Ah, I should have mentioned, I'm not using SSH at all. Which was partly why
I thought I'd mention it. I'm guessing it's not an SSH problem(!), but
something network related. It feels like a timeout to me, but I can't
imagine what might be timing out. Anyhow, it seems that the OS that
connects has an effect MacOS not causing the problem. At first I assumed it
was a delay in password lookups, but then Randy said he'd noticed a
correlation with adding the second NIC, which is a common factor with my
setup.

It is of course possible that we're suffering from two entirely different
problems, but I thought that was unlikely.

Does give anyone any ideas?

I'll check /var/log/messages anyhow, am I right in thinking that Telnet w/o
SSH should also log to there? Might be more clues!

Cheers

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall